How Much Does it Cost to Install Outdoor Lighting?
If you’d like to install electric lights on your property, you can expect the cost to install outdoor lighting to come to $60 – $130 per light for basic grade, typically. This figure includes the light itself, plus labor. On average, a total of 6 lights will be needed.
Reasons to Install Outdoor Lighting
- Outdoor lighting provides security for your home, deterring potential intruders.
- It offers a different sort of safety as well, making your house easy for first response personnel to find in case of an emergency.
- It also helps prevent falls, by allowing your family and visitors to make their way safely along your walkway and stairs.
- Well-chosen lighting beautifies your yard by literally highlighting its most attractive features.
- It extends the usability of amenities such as a swimming pool or outdoor kitchen.
- When you’re in the market to sell your home, the right lighting will add welcoming curb appeal to potential buyers.
How Much Does It Cost to Install Outdoor Lighting?
Outdoor lighting is a perfect way to add beautiful style to the exterior of your home. Adding lights outside the home also helps to improve the safety and security of yourself, your family, and visitors. There are many different choices involved in an outdoor lighting project such as materials, style, design, type, location, and more.
The installation of outdoor lighting should be completed by a professional. A professional expert will have the knowledge and skills needed to properly install the outdoor lighting as well as experience in adding items such as outlets, switches, transformers, and wiring. A professional will also be able to provide you with recommendations on design and which materials, styles, and designs are best suited to meet your needs.
The project cost is dependent on many factors, such as the material, type of lights, bulbs, and electrical work. A project to install 20 lighting fixtures in a new 800 sq.ft. backyard will cost on average $2,000-$5,500. This price includes all labor fees and materials needed by a professional.
There are onsite inspection requirements that have to be followed by professionals when installing outdoor lighting. During this process the landscapers/electrician will meet to learn how the landscape will be used. Some things that have to be inspected are underground wiring, wiring to the meter, all electrical wiring prior to the job, and a final inspection to ensure that there is no open wiring that could cause a safety hazard. An onsite inspection is usually in the process cost. If the onsite inspection is not included in the price, it usually ranges from $100-$250.
Designing your outdoor lighting is something that you have to take into consideration before taking on the project. Do you intend to use this space as entertainment or do you simply need good lighting on your patio or pathways? It is a good idea to have an outdoor lighting design in mind before you begin. There is always the option of hiring an outdoor lighting designer to help create an overall plan for your outdoor lighting of your dreams within your budget. However, doing this can add an additional $500 or more to your total project amount.
Parts That Can Be Illuminated
- Path lights: these lights are used to illuminate pathways and walkways. Path lights range in price from $70-$150 each.
- Deck lights: these lights are typically spot lights that are used to illuminate a deck. Deck lights cost on average from $65-$110 each.
- Wall lanterns: these typically attach to an outside wall and shine light on the landscaping or garden. The average cost for wall lanterns is $100-$150 each.
- Floodlights: these are typically attached to a wall and are used to shine light on a large space for security purposes. Floodlights typically cost $75-$150 each.
- For more details, contact us at email:[email protected]