How Much Does Softball Field Lighting Cost?
Definition of softball field lighting
A softball field of any size can offer a additional gratifying game for players and fans if lit with specification grade softball field lighting provides, equipment, poles, and accessories. though several organizations like little municipalities and churches on tight budgets ar typically tempted to take a position in cheaper retail grade luminaires and mounts, it ne'er serves them within the long-standing time. Cheaper instrumentation tends to interrupt down additional quickly, leading to replacement prices.
Baseball and softball field size, lighting standards and lighting schemes. When understanding the lighting fixtures for baseball and softball stadiums, we need to understand the site size of both. Baseball and softball are mostly outdoor courts. The baseball field is divided into an infield and an outfield. The infield is also called a square. The infield is surrounded by two sides of the outfield and the other two sides of the outfield. The size of the inner field is 27.5×27.5m, and the outer field is fan-shaped. The distance from the second base to the middle and outer field is at least 121.92m, and the outer field is outside the outer line of 18.29m.
Cost of Running Your Softball Field Lights
If you could buy a comparable light which outputs the same lumen count, but one used 1500w and the other used 500w but the first one was $500 and the second was $1,000, which would you choose?
It really depends on which mentality you have. If you look at the long term cost saving benefits, you would choose the lower wattage light. If you are looking for the cheapest upfront option, the less expensive but higher wattage light would probably be your choice.
Since we seriously believe LED is the best option for stadiums and sports fields to illuminate their place, we are going to use that as our example (and recommendation).
Let's keep it simple so you can use our example to get a rough idea what it will cost to run your lights.
Let's say you have 10 lights. Currently, your high masts are metal halide and use 1,500 watts per fixture. Now, let's say you are looking for a more efficient technology and you come across LED. You find a comparable light which will output the same amount of light (or lumens), and only consumes 400 watts per fixture.
In total, the metal halide lights are consuming 15,000 watts in total (when in use) and the LEDs would (if chosen) be using only 5,000 watts. That is 3 times less energy, which can lead to some great savings. This reduction from 1,500 watts to 500 watts per fixture is the exact reason fields both small and large fields are converting to LED over other technologies like metal halide and HPS.
For example, we often find that fields that convert to LED with us from metal halide or HPS high mast pole lights realize a payback of their investment in as little as 1 year. Additionally, since LEDs last much longer they get to realize these cost savings for much longer and thus; a much higher ROI over the lifespan of the light.
Additionally, since LEDs last longer they enjoy an additional benefit of less maintenance requirements. This allows more cost savings as an indirect benefit of (LED) High Mast fixtures .
China's lighting standards for softball fields:
|Class||Use function||Lux(lx)||Illumination uniformity||LED Source||GR|
|Ⅰ||Training and entertainment||300/200||—||—||—||0.3||—||—||—||—||≥20||—||≤55|
|Ⅱ||Amateur competition, professional training||500/300||—||—||0.4/0.3||0.6/0.5||—||—||—||—||≥80||≥4000||≤50|
|Ⅳ||TV broadcast national and international competitions||—||1000/750||750/500||0.5/0.4||0.7/0.6||0.4/0.3||0.6/0.5||0.3||0.5/0.4||≥80||≥4000||≤50|
|Ⅴ||TV broadcasts major international competitions||—||1400/1000||1000/750||0.6/0.5||0.8/0.7||0.5/0.3||0.7/0.5||0.3||0.5/0.4||≥90||≥5500||≤50|
|Ⅵ||HDTV broadcasts major international competitions||—||2000/1400||1400/1000||0.7/0.6||0.8/0.8||0.6/0.4||0.7/0.6||0.4/0.3||0.6/0.5||≥90||≥5500||≤50|
Lightning ways of the softball field
1. The softball light pattern of the softball field should be arranged in no less than 4 light poles. It is also possible to install a baseball field light on the horse track above the auditorium.
2. The light rail of the stadium shall be located outside the main angle of view of the four base areas by 20°. The pole shall not be placed in the gray part of Figure 1 below.
Baseball and softball lights need attention to details
1. In order to ensure that the athlete has a good light environment and reduce the shadow, the light requires three or four directions. Stadium light position, glare control, stadium light sets, luminaire beam extension and installation height are all required.
Stadium light location. The position of the stadium lights should be consistent with the direction of the game. As shown in Figure 1, "A, B, C".
2. Glare control. The stadium lights are placed outside of the player's loyal line of sight, as in Figure 1, a triangular region extending from each infield baseline forms a 20° zone.
3. Stadium light beam expansion. The top of the luminaire-defined beam should be at least 10° below the court light plane
4. Stadium pole installation height. The minimum installation height of the bottom of the lamp on all poles is 21.3m from the ground. Increasing the number of lamps requires increasing the installation height of the above lamps.